Wednesday, February 3, 2010

English translation of Eugen Istodor Interview with LU...

Why are you singing?

My father is a singer and I’ve heard his voice in my ear since the time he hushed me to sleep as a baby. He left the family home when I was very small, but the connection of music and singing has always been strong between us. The Irish have a strong affinity toward music, so I guess it’s in my genes too.
I sing because without it I feel not total or whole. It’s more than enjoyment – it’s a need.

What are you thinking when you’re singing in public?

I’m very aware of course of the audience and paying public who come and see me perform, so I get nervous before-hand because I care about what I’m doing and want everyone to enjoy what I do. But there comes a point where I totally become the song, where I become absorbed in the words and the meaning and somehow become slightly oblivious to anything but the story, words and music.

How is it helping you the thing that you’re British and you’re singing with Romanescu in Romania?

I assume no preferential treatment because I’m British. My main criteria is quality in everything I do, which means who I chose to work with and associate myself with and that also can be said vice versa. Romanian musicians top in their profession see that I am a good performer and chose to work with me. Being British is irrelevant. Sorin Romanescu and I have a good synergy and we read each other’s next move musically, so every show is slightly different because we can improvise or divert from our routine. This is terribly exciting and keeps our performance sharp and fresh. It’s a joy to work with such an artist as Sorin Romanescu.

In which language are you thinking? What do you think about Romania in this language?

I think, dream and speak in English! Romanian is a beautiful language and pleasant to hear - I wish to speak it more fluently. Presently I’m able to understand a little more than I can speak.

How would sound a song about your Romania?

Romania has been good to me over the years and I have had many wonderful memories and experiences here. So my song of Romania would quite naturally be one about friendship, good times and happiness.

What kind of music do you use in order to inspire you for your music? What kind of music do you forgot in order to build your music?

Music with emotional content, words with meaning and story are also important. I listen to a very diverse range of music. I’m influenced, I suppose by many genres of music – music from my youth and from my family. There are many ingredients to how I write music, sing it and perform it, but primarily I am ‘me’.

How can you be a brand new presence in a world made of Xerox copies?

It’s not a question of how I can be a new presence. I already am.
Commerciality is important, the same can be said for finding your own niche and to have awareness of market value, but I also hold a firm belief in making music that is true and has meaning with individuality and integrity.

What’s more important: your voice or your person?

The two can’t be separated but if one day I have the terrible misfortune of not being able to sing, then I hope my character would be strong enough to carry me through the rest of life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting & insightful