Friday, November 13, 2009

Lu Cozma - new interview by Metropotam















New Interview - English version with Metropotam.
Many thanks to Cristina for some great questions....

http://metropotam.ro/Interviuri/2009/11/art9017213067-Interviu-Lu-Cozma/


We don’t know much about you. Please introduce yourself.

My name is Lu Cozma and I’m a British singer/songwriter of Irish, Italian background.

How come you decided to move to Bucharest?

I moved here nearly 2 years ago with my Romanian husband and our 2 daughters.

What does this mean to your musical career? Is it a challenge?

Thankfully as a musician I can work where the music takes me, so I’m quite mobile. I can be based anywhere really. But for my family it is better that we are all based in the same place, as my husband’s business projects are here, so it was better for all of us.

Adapting to new surroundings, culture and language has been a challenge but one I embrace. Often taking calculated risks reap great rewards and bring personal growth. I won’t shy away from the fact that I get homesick and find the changes sometimes quite tough, but I’m up for the adventure and new frontiers both musically, creatively and at a personal level.

Whats the story with the Romanian orphanage you worked for?

I first came to Romania in ’92, where I worked for a charity based in the UK. The orphanage was in Vaslui. The work was rewarding, difficult, often heart breaking but the experience was life changing in a positive way for me - brought me down to reality and got me viewing life from a different prospective.

What did you know about Romanian music scene before and what do you know now, after you have moved here?

Understanding the mechanisms of how the music industry work has been something I’ve had to get better acquainted with. I now live here so it’s important that I contribute to the music community and get to know it as best I can.

Like anywhere else in the world, there is music of top quality and there’s music that’s not. Romania is no exception. It’s all according to taste and trend. Taste differs from person to person, but trends kind of rule the way and that’s what mainstream music relies on.

However some exceptional bands and artists are here, living, breathing and moving toward a wave of new culture in music and I’m feeling extremely excited about it. I’m so happy to be in Romania at this time, because I can see new frontiers being pushed and this is always a healthy sign.

Sometimes we’ve just got to look for the less obvious. Yeah, I suppose it’s great going to see international bands that come here but it’s also good to look at the interesting, intelligent, deep textured sounds that are right here, home grown, under our noses.

How would you characterize your musical style? Do you explore different genres?

Well, I would class myself first and foremost as an alternative artist due to a style which straddles both pop and rock. I started singing at the age of 11yrs predominantly in Irish and English Folk music. It was good training ground for me as a professional and also connected me to my culture. I am however not frightened of pushing the boundaries - as a singer I can only experience the dynamics of my voice and performance by being challenged by other genres.

You said once that the ultimate thing for you is performing. Can you tell me more about performing? What makes a great performance? (the audience, the music, the place, the context...)

Yes, you’re right I did say that. Performing... is me being myself. The stage is my platform of life and I am the story teller - the communicator of imagery, feelings, description and truth. Of course there are other elements at play. The audience are integral to the story, if there is no audience then why would the story teller even have a use? The music and the lyrics are of course important because I have to believe in the meaning and communicate it. I’ve performed at some really awful looking venues in my time, the sound has been rubbish or the surroundings haven’t been all that great but the concerts were electric. So often the place matters but not all the time.

What can you tell about Romanian audience? Is it different from English audience?

The Romanian audiences are extremely warm and emotionally alive - responding to every detail and alert to the message and performance, which is incredibly inspiring to me as a performer. In some ways audiences here remind me of Irish audiences – a similar interaction. That’s not to say that the English aren’t like that because they’re warm too.

We had the chance to see and listen to you at Byron’s album launch in Silver Church. What can you tell us about your musical partnerships with romanian artists?

Byron in my opinion, are one of the top bands in Romania at the moment. I’m very proud of their achievements and think their success is more than deserved. When they asked me to guest on their new album ‘A Kind Of Alchemy’ I felt very honoured and excepted. There’s a mutual appreciation and respect too, which is like gold dust in the music industry.

I’m in discussions on various collaborations with other Romanian artists which I’m considering depending on schedules, availability and timelines etc. Updates on this will be revealed once confirmed.

What can you tell us about your latest album, Red? Maybe some inside information, some stories from recordings, an unusual/funny event...

Before I moved to Romania I was promoting the album RED extensively with my co-writer and fellow musician Steve Askew (from the 80’s band Kajagoogoo). When we can’t perform together I go out solo acoustic where ever the music takes me. In Romania I’m taking out RED live under the name ‘Acoustic Red’ with Sorin Romanescu, a very gifted guitarist.

Stories? Oh there are too many to mention!! This one involves a reporter – no names mentioned!! Late at night after a gig a couple of years ago abroad, I was asked by a reporter if I would do an interview. I was feeling rather tired but I said yes. After finding a spot to do the interview we sat and chatted over a beer and then the interview commenced after recording devices were in place and note pads at the ready. 20 minutes into the interview I sensed that I was on my own or as good as! The interviewer had promptly fallen asleep. He was on his way to dream land.... hello, are you still awake!!!

Which are your favourite artists/bands? Not only Romanian, of course.

I’m a bit of a Brit’ music freak. I like listening to UK Indie and Alternative past and present. I’m fascinated with bands such as Joy Division, Elvis Costello, RadioHead, The Jam and anything Punk and post Punk – New Wave is cool too. I simply love Elbow, Portishead... oh, I can’t stop!!!

Listening to folk is something I do often – maybe it’s an antidote sometimes for my homesickness! Cara Dillon, Eliza Carthy, Seth Lakeman and Clannad, to name a few.

Berti Barbera has a great voice and style and I’m enjoying listening to the greats such as Alifantis and Andries. The Nightlosers are cool....

When is your next gig happening? And where?

The next gig is on the 17th November, sharing a line up of very special artists performing for charityGift.ro @ Club Fabrica.

No comments: